Çiğdem advises on competition and antitrust matters including multijurisdictional merger control analysis, negative clearance and block/individual exemption analysis, preparation and execution of settlement, leniency and compliance programs, preparation and analysis of behavioral or structural remedy packages, preparation of written and oral defenses of Turkish and multinational companies in competition investigations. She worked as a case-handler in Turkish Competition Authority for five years. During this period of time, she worked in many investigations and Phase I and Phase II merger cases including remedy packages.
She supervised preliminary investigations, as well as negative clearance and block/individual exemption cases especially in healthcare, pharmaceuticals, retail, FMCG, fashion, food and agriculture sectors. Along with her professional work in Turkish Competition Authority, she prepared background notes for OECD Best Practice Roundtables and presented Turkey’s contributions at the OECD Headquarter. She received the official “competition expert” title following the approval of her expertise thesis on “Big Data and Merger Control”. She received her Industrial Engineering degree from Bilkent University with full merit-based scholarship, LLB degree from Ankara University as an honor student and Economics degree from Anadolu University as a high honor student. She also studied at Johann Wolfgang Goethe University for a semester as an exchange student and took courses in management and economics.
Honors and Awards
- Granted Full Merit-Based Scholarship, Bilkent University, Department of Industrial Engineering
- Honor and High Honor Student, Bilkent University, Department of Industrial Engineering
- Honor and High Honor Student, Ankara University, Faculty of Law
- Honor and High Honor Student, Anadolu University, Faculty of Open Education, Department of Economics
Activities and Affiliations
- “Big Data within the Context of Merger Control”, Expertise Thesis, Turkish Competition Authority, Ankara, 2020.
- Presentation entitled “Data Protection As a Non-Price Parameter of Competition”, İstanbul Bilgi University, Center for Competition Law, 16.04.2020.
- “Competition Enforcement in the Pharmaceutical Sector: The Case for Turkey in Light of the Turkish Pharmaceutical Sector Report”, OECD RCC Newsletter Issue No:13, July 2019, p. 16-19.
- Presentation entitled “Pay-for-Delay Agreements in Turkish Pharmaceutical Sector”, OECD Headquarter, Paris, 26.02.2019.
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Founder and Moderator of Bilkent International Forum (2015)
- Founder and President of Bilkent International House Student Club (2014)
- Volunteer in Young Guru Academy Leadership School (2012)
Member of European Law Students Association (2018)
Member of Young ISTAC (2018)
Member of Turkish Competition Experts Association (2017)
Prior and Present Employment
- Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki Attorney Partnership, Associate (Sept. 2020 - to date)
- Turkish Competition Authority, Expert on Competition (2020)
- Turkish Competition Authority, Assistant Expert on Competition (2016-2019)