Evren Sesli works in our office as a counsel and provides consultancy and advice on competition law and economics for national and international companies operating in different sectors. Before joining our team, she served at the Turkish Competition Authority for thirteen years as a chief case handler and an economic analyst.
Evren was engaged in different divisions of the Turkish Competition Authority both as a case handler and as an economist. During her years at the Turkish Competition Authority, she supervised many antitrust investigations, preliminary inquiries, M&A’s, exemption/negative clearance assessments mainly in transportation (air, sea and land), insurance, finance, healthcare, automotive, and tourism sectors. She also prepared legal and economic analysis reports for the Turkish Competition Board in order to provide the comparative analysis of pre-market and post-market structure for privatization cases especially for seaports and airports. In this regard, Evren received the official “competition expert” title following the approval of her expertise thesis on “The Effects of Privatization in Turkish Seaports from an Antitrust Perspective”.
As an economist, Evren also performed economic and econometric analysis for different aspects of competition law such as quantitative analysis in order to examine the unilateral effects of acquisitions, econometric analysis for the definition of geographic markets, economic analysis to reveal the impact of acquisition on prices and antitrust analysis for possible strategic alliances. She also prepared economic and quantitative analysis for investigations and sector inquiries of the Turkish Competition Authority mainly in insurance, cement, electronic ticketing and airline industries. Evren received the official “chief competition expert” title with the approval of her expertise paper on “Measuring Efficiency of Airlines in Turkey: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis".
Moreover, along with her professional activities at the Turkish Competition Authority, Evren presented Turkey’s contributions at the OECD, International Competition Network and Association of Competition Economists. She also took a role in the teams for the preparation of some secondary legislation of Turkish competition law during her career at the Authority.
Based on her experience in the area of competition law and economics, Evren currently provides consultancy and advice on national and international companies operating in different sectors including automotive, electricity, construction, finance, tourism, infrastructure, health care, FMCG and transportation. Evren lead teams for the entire range of competition-law issues including cartel and abuse of dominance investigations, individual exemption applications and merger fillings. She also provides guidance to clients on their daily competition – law related problems, designation of distribution agreements and sector specific tailor-made competition compliance programs.
Evren got her undergraduate degree from Economics Department of Bogazici University and achieved academic excellence during her graduate studies in Economics at the Bocconi University where she graduated with her thesis on “Outstanding Competition Policy Concerns in Online Advertising”. She has academic studies in the area of competition law and economics and attends to national and international conferences as a speaker. Evren is also a referee at the academic journal of the Turkish Competition Authority (namely “Rekabet Dergisi”). She is fluent in English.
- Co-author, “İnovasyonun Önünde Aşırı Fiyat Engeli: Kar Beklenmeksizin Tekonolojik Gelişim Mümkün mü?”, Terazi Hukuk Dergisi, Vol: 14, Issue: 156, p. 1606-1617, Ağustos 2019.
- Co-author, "A Quantitative Methodology for Defining Relevant Geographic Market: Istanbul Airports," ongoing academic work.
- "Measuring Efficiency of Airlines in Turkey: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Expertise Paper, Turkish Competition Authority, Ankara, June 2015.
- Co-author, "Structure-Conduct-Performance Analysis in the Turkish Manufacturing Industry: 2003-2008," Competition Journal, Vol: 15 No.3, p. 3-36, 2014.
- "Outstanding Competition Policy Concerns in Online Advertising," Master's Thesis-Bocconi University, Milan, March 2013.
- Co-author, "Structural Remedies in Merger Control and Efficiency Assessment," awarded runner-up prize in the Merger Control Symposium at Istanbul Bilgi University, Competition Journal, Vol:10 No.2, p. 29-71, 2009
- Co-author, "A Current Highlight on Merger Remedies in Turkish Competition Law: Vatan Daily Case," case note, Global Competition Policy, p. 1-5, June 2009.
- "The Effects of Privatization in Turkish Seaports from an Antitrust Perspective," Expertise Thesis, Turkish Competition Authority, Ankara, May 2009.
- Co-author, “Actions Speak Louder Than Words: Turkish Competition Authority Withdrew Individual Exemption of BKM Express”, Mondaq, June 2019.
- Co-author, “Is it taking too long?: An Analysis of the Turkish Competition Authority’s Individual Exemption Assessments”, Kluwer Competition Blog, June 2019.
- Co-author, “A Jurisprudential Evaluation of Post-Termination Non-Compete Obligations: Caution Over One Year!”, Mondaq, May 2019.
- Co-author, “Last 3 Years for Turkish Competition Authority: What Does the Data Say?”, Mondaq, May 2019.
- Co-author, “Turkish Insurance Companies Move On With the Old Standards in Damage Expenses”, Mondaq, April 2019.
- Co-author, “Quantitative Distribution System in After Sales Market of Motor Vehicles is Once Again in the Agenda of the Turkish Competition Authority “, March 2019.
- “Rekabet İktisadı Yükselişini Sürdürüyor – ACE Konferansı’ndan Notlar 1-2”, Rekabet ve Regülasyon, Aralık 2018.
- Co-author, “Platform businesses are under the Turkish Competition Authority's Radar”, Mondaq, October 2018.
- Co-author, “Daha Hızlı, Daha Güçlü: ECN+ Direktifi Avrupa Rekabet Otoritelerinin Etkinliğini Artıracak”, Mondaq, October 2018.
- Co-author, “Turkish Beer Market Keeps Going With the Cooler Rule”, Mondaq, June 2018.
Activities and Affiliations
- Ekonomik Yaklaşım International Congress on Economics, Presented the findings of an econometric analysis on the definition of relevant geographic market for Istanbul Airports, Invited speaker, November 2015.
- TOBB ETU University, “Industrial Organization” Lectures, Invited scholar, Spring 2014.
- International Conference on Competition Law and Policy, “The Integration of Economic Analysis in the Work of Competition Authorities”, Speaker in a roundtable panel, Athens 2013.
- Coordinator of merger working group of Turkish Competition Authority for organizing the merger session of International Competition Network’s 9th Annual Conference in Istanbul, 2010.
- Intensive Course on Quantitative Methods for Competition Analysis, Barcelona Graduate School, October 2013.
- Summer Course for Competition Authority Economists, Fordham Law School, June 2009.
- Association of Competition Experts
- Association of Competition Economics
Prior and Present Employment
- Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki Attorney Partnership (2017 - to date)
- Turkish Competition Authority (2005-2017)
- Senior Expert on Competition, Directorate of Economic Analysis and Research (2015-September 2017)
- Expert on Competition, Directorate of Economic Analysis and Research (2012-2015)
- Expert on Competition, Directorate of Economic Research (2008-2010)
- Assistant Expert on Competition, Antitrust Division (2005-2008)
- Turkish Ministry Of Finance, Deputy State Revenue Expert (2003-2005)