Hazar Başar mainly focuses on competition law, compliance and ethics, and internal investigations.
Hazar Başar advises clients for all aspects of competition law including preparation of merger control filings to be submitted before the Turkish Competition Authority. Hazar represents clients within fully-fledged investigations launched by the Turkish Competition Authority and provides clients with full legal assistance during pre-investigations and on-site inspections conducted by the Authority.
In line with his broad practice in competition law, Hazar also assists multinational and local companies in preparing compliance programs with different focuses. Compliance programmes conducted by Hazar mainly aim to assist to clients in ensuring their compliance with competition law, public procurement law and international and local anti-corruption rules along with internal codes of conducts and ethics.
Hazar’s practice also focuses his practice on conducting internal investigations on business ethics, regulatory and anti-corruption matters including white-collar crimes and anti-money laundering issues. In this respect, Hazar is conducting anti-corruption due diligence reviews and assisting his clients on handling with sensitive issues including bribery, fraud, misuse of trust, bid rigging, money laundering, international and local trade sanctions.
Hazar’s practice specifically focuses on fast moving consumer goods (“FMCG”), healthcare, technology, media and entertainment, e-commerce, telecommunication, automotive, luxury, retail and infrastructure sectors.
Hazar regularly conducts legal research on all aspects of competition law with a special focus on technology markets and published his freelance writings on recent developments in competition law, US sanctions law and anti-corruption law in Mondaq and on rekabetregulasyon.com which is a blog platform operated by BASEAK’s competition and regulation team.
Honors and Awards
- Graduate of Honors, Bilkent University, Faculty of Law
- Master’s Thesis: “The Possibility of Using Commitment Decisions of the European Commission Under Article 9 of Regulation No. 1/2003 As A Source of Evidence in Actions for Anti-trust Damages Before National Courts of the Member States of the EU” (Supervised by Dr. Daniela Obradovic and Dr. Ronal H. Van Ooik)
- Co-Author: “A New Approach Toward the Understanding of Dominance in the Digital Era: Assessing Dominant Position in Dynamic Markets”, The Second Academic Gift Book of ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law on Selected Contemporary Competition Law Matters, 2019 (with Gönenç Gürkaynak and Özlem Cansu Tekşen)
- Co-Author: “A Critical Analysis of the Turkish State Aid Law”, The Academic Gift Book of ELIG, Attorneys-At-Law in Honor of the 20th Anniversary of Competition Law Practice in Turkey, 2018 (with Gönenç Gürkaynak and Merve Öner)
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Call For A Revised Competition Policy in the Dawn of Digital Economies: The Turkish Competition Authority Published Its Startegic Plan for 2019-2023” (with Şahin Ardıyok and Bora İkiler)
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Restriction by Object vs. Effect Analysis in Vertical RPM Cases: Turkish Competition Board Decided To Impose Monetary Fine Against Sony” (with Bora İkiler)
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Enthusiasm of Turkish Merger Control Regime to Catch the Joint Ventures Established Outside of Turkey” (with Bora İkiler)
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Close Follow-Up by the Turkish Competition Authority on Cinema Sector” (with Emin Köksal)
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Fruit of the Poisonous Tree Might Not Be Poisonous: The Turkish Administrative Court Cleared the Use of Recordings of Phone Conversations in TCA’s Syndicated Loan Decision” (with Şahin Ardıyok)
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Türkiye-ABD İlişkilerinde Yeni Bir Hukuki Boyut: CAATSA” (with Bora İkiler)
- Author: Mondaq Article: “Teknoloji Devlerinin İşgücü Pazarında Rekabet Hukuku ile Karşılaşması Üzerine Bir Belgesel: When Rules Don’t Apply!”
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Avrupa Teknoloji Devleri ile Mücadele Ediyor” (with Aslı Ak)
- Co-Author: Mondaq Article: “Rekabet Hukukunda Yargıya Erişim Hakkı: Danıştay, İdare Mahkemesi’nin Davayı İlgililere İhbar Etmemesi Sebebiyle İdare Mahkemesi’nin İptal Kararını Bozdu!” (with Reşit Gürpınar)
Activities and Affiliations
Prior and Present Employment
- Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki Attorney Partnership (2019 - to date)
- Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law (2017 - 2019)